Located in Brewton, Alabama, T. R. Miller Mill Company, Inc. is one of the oldest, privately held, forest product companies in business today. Built in 1848, the original mill was one of the first permanent sawmills in the South. Little is known of the original mill except that it was a small water-driven mill, but the choice of location still commands admiration. Not only did Cedar Creek power the mill, it also transported logs from the vast pine forest along its upper reaches and floated the sawn timbers to Pensacola, Florida for export.
In 1872, ownership changed and the mill operation was incorporated as T. R. Miller Mill Company. This sawmill has operated continuously since 1872, and today is one of the 150 largest sawmills in the U. S. Since 1903, T. R. Miller has manufactured various specialty pine products, and that continues today with an array of pine flooring, siding, and pattern products, as well as a selection of 4 x 8 lattice panels.
In 1927, the treated pole and piling division was added, and is now one of the 10 largest producers of poles in the U. S.
T. R. Miller has been in land and timber management for over 100 years. T. R. Miller and its sister company, Cedar Creek Land & Timber, Inc., currently own and manage over 215,000 acres of timberland. The value of conservation and sound natural resource management was recognized in our operating history; T. R. Miller holds the No. 2 Tree Farm Certification in the United States. The commitment toward sustaining our industry and a continuous focus on improving operations and product quality are demonstrated by our longevity and leadership as members of the Forest Products Association (1915), American Wood Preservers’ Association (1927), American Wood Preservers’ Institute (1927), and Southern Pressure Treaters’ Association (1954). T. R. Miller was a founding member of the Alabama Forestry Association in 1949.